Action – Reverb 10, Day 13

What is Reverb10?

December 13 – Action. When it comes to aspirations, it’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step? (Author: Scott Belsky)

This is a very ironic post.

I have this idea in my head of the kind of medical student I want to be. Unfortunately, she and the medical student I actually am, are quite different. Now, I’m fairly certain, no, I’m very certain, that in the end, I’ll be the doctor I want to be, but I could make the road to that new level a bit easier than it is right now.

Easier isn’t the right word. Efficient. Productive. Less round-about-y.

I’ve always been a procrastinator. As soon as I had assignments I could procrastinate on, I did. I have memories of being seven or eight and, though I was given at least a week’s notice, trying to start and finish a project the night before it was due. Somehow, this has not held me back in life. But my success has been born of many late nights and panicked scrambles. Many pre-test days of “Damn. I guess I do need to memorize that entire pathway” or “We really need to be able know the names of these drugs?”

I’ve been working really hard to be better about this though. I don’t completely waste time online all day. I watch all the lectures for all our classes. I read (or skim) all the course notes. I even take my own notes now! But I’m still not quite where I wanted to be by now. I’m not yet as on top of the material as I know I could be without turning into a medical student who I don’t want to be, the reclusive anti-social complete shut in who has no hobbies. I think I have a ways to go before even being worried that I might be that person.

So how do I realize this idea? I keep trying. I take on new traits bit by bit, learning new study habits, figuring out what works for me and what doesn’t. I might need to accelerate the process though, because I need to be at maximum potential in about five months.

Why is this post ironic? I’ve been out of my last test since 11:30am. Four hours later, I still haven’t started studying for tomorrow’s (er, I haven’t started yet today; I have studied for it in the past), and I’m writing this post.

Ok, ok, enough navel-gazing and more hypoglycemia! (Endocrinology test tomorrow)

(Oh, and my roommate started doing reverb10 too!) :D

December 13, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

1. I have no doubt, Aba, that once all is said and done, you will look back at this post and think “wow, I really did do it.” You’re already an inspiration (not to mention every African parent’s dream lol).

December 13, 2010 at 3:36 pm

• Thank you! I think you might be right. Already I’m a bit bewildered that I am where I am! I used to think medicine would be too hard for me.

And African parents are a force to be reckoned with! People always joke about Asian parents having high standards, but they don’t have a monopoly on that market.

December 13, 2010 at 3:56 pm

2. Hey, I’ve always been a procrastinator too! In fact, I’m procrastinating RIGHT NOW by reading today’s blog posts :)

But at least I always learn something from you, Aba, so that counts as productive time, right?

Marianne DiNapoli

December 13, 2010 at 9:52 pm

• Lol! We have a nice procrastination cycle going right now then (quick study break!). And yeah, totally counts as productive. ;)

Looking forward to seeing what today’s case was, btw! Glanced at it this morning and absolutely no bells were ringing.

December 13, 2010 at 10:12 pm

3. This post really resonates with me. I know how you feel – it’s always sad when I finally understand something important right before the test and realize that, if I had actually been more on top of my studying, I could’ve known it ages ago and made it more likely I’d retain it for the future. (That said, it always makes me feel better to know that nobody else is on top of everything either.)

I like this prompt. I think it’s important to always have a goal to actively work on – makes life interesting. :)

Action Potential

December 13, 2010 at 10:58 pm

• Yeah, it’s definitely nice to know that not all medical students are in the library all day and have absolutely no life! I think a good deal of us are prone to procrastinate, and we usually pull through in the end. :)

One thing I’m realising though is that it’s a little harder to retain this info than I thought it would be. I’m looking at notes and watching lectures and everything earlier than I used to and still having trouble the day before. It takes really active studying to keep some of this stuff in your brain.

December 14, 2010 at 1:24 am