Appreciate – Reverb 10, Day 14

What is Reverb10?

December 14 – Appreciate What’s the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it? (Author: Victoria Klein)

(I appreciate that the author of this post wrote a prompt that wasn’t a ridiculously direct tie-in to a book she’s just written.)

If I have to say one thing, then I’m going to say the Internet, because the internet connects me to all the other things I’d want to say instead.

I’ve been online since I was ten or eleven (I’m twenty-four), but the way I use it now is quite different from the way I used it then. Or two years ago. Or five years ago.

The internet is now a place of learning. Not just by reading random wikipedia articles, but so much of my education is currently facilitated by the internet. Recorded lectures. Powerpoint slides. Notes. Old tests. Research papers. School email. School calendar. Financial Aid. Everything’s online! Often this year I have turned to a friend and wondered, “How did past med students  ___ without having the internet!” We can easily check what time a test is. Someone can let the whole class know that there’s an assignment due tomorrow by sending one email. If we’re studying and we disagree on something, there are so many resources through which we can easily search to find the answer.

The internet is also a place of connection. I can stay in touch with people from undergrad, from boarding school, and from my school in Ghana, so easily, with resources like facebook. Extended family, people I meet through a new activity, friends of friends, all of them easily found and reached out to.

Even better than that, my family can be as spread out as it is, and yet we can all stay a part of each other’s lives. My mother and my sister in law email me pictures and videos of my (amazing and adorable) niece.My brothers can easily let me know about something new that’s going on in their lives. I can put music on my mother’s ipod for her by remote accessing her computer! With the internet, it is okay that I am in the Midwest of the USA, a place I never particularly thought I’d live again (I was born in Wisconsin, strangely enough, but was there for less than a year). My boyfriend is miles away on a different coast. My parents are even further, on a separate continent. My brothers are in the US, but we’re all spread out, in four different states that don’t even share borders.

The internet makes it bearable. I am not completely stranded here in this land-locked state. I almost wanted to go to one of my other two options for medical school, due to their locations, but this one was far cheaper and generally consider “a better school,” and my interview here had been one of my favorites. Coming here was one of the hardest easy choices I’ve had to make.

So this year I have really appreciated that my loved ones, and my education, are all accessible right here where I sit, on this blue exercise ball, huddling by my space heater and allowing myself a few moments (maybe hours) of respite before I have to start studying again.

And I think I can bet that if you’re reading this, you’re pretty appreciative of the internet too. :) Right?

December 14, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Posted in Life in General, Reverb 10

Tagged with

1. The internet rules! For one, it’s a great way to come into contact with interesting people like yourself. And two… Everything else you said! I’m continuously blown away by the power of all this technology. I went to college and graduate school without a computer. Almost nobody I knew owned one. No email, no internet, no nothing. You had to go to the library for everything. Heck, I thought my Smith-Corona word processor was hot shit when I bought it to type up my master’s thesis. It replaced my typewriter! Things are changing so fast it spins my head around. Oh yeah, and this is hilarious: “I appreciate that the author of this post wrote a prompt that wasn’t a ridiculously direct tie-in to a book she’s just written.” – So true!

Bob D.

December 14, 2010 at 8:33 pm

• haha, yeah, I have to admit I am incredibly thankful I don’t have to rely on the library! In high school, everyone had to do a history research paper during our junior year and that was my one big (and thankfully final!) experience with having to go to the library and hunt down books and read through them and keep a stack of cards with quotes on them and all the page info so that I could cite them correctly if I used them in my paper. Wow. I had happily not thought about that experience in a really long time. I wonder if they still make the students write the paper that way.

Thanks for commenting!

December 14, 2010 at 8:37 pm

• I actually find searching for books in a library rather fun. I like books and they way they smell (even the weird dusty ones b/c it’s invokes an antiquated sense of knowledge for me). I like the physical act of flipping through pages and looking for things too.

Granted, in my field, I’ll never really need to do that, so it’s just fun when I choose to… but I just wanted to say I do like library based projects.

Also, having a giant stack of books makes me feel accomplished somehow.

Hao

December 15, 2010 at 8:43 am

2. “I appreciate that the author of this post wrote a prompt that wasn’t a ridiculously direct tie-in to a book she’s just written.” Something I’ve wanted to say for some days and haven’t been able to figure out how… You put it so simply. The truth of youth.

I love the scientist’s point of view: appreciation for the Internet. Something I’ve learned to take for granted every day. And yet something I love, and without which I’d be bereft. I mean, I LOVE the internet!

Guinevere

December 14, 2010 at 9:47 pm

• Yeah, I’ve been holding back the biting remarks but I wasn’t thrilled with a few of the previous prompts! I’m still finding the whole thing a fun exercise though, and I’m reading such different blogs than I normally read (and actually commenting!).

December 14, 2010 at 11:20 pm

3. Yes. It’s funny, you are 24, my children’s age. I am 48. I watched them grow up with the internet, watched how incredibly quickly it has evolved into all the things you said. Watched how it changed the world, really. I used it primarily as a tool for my job (graphic arts) until this past year, when I finally got in on social networks (hey, I’m old!)
    It is amazing, the connections, the information, the way the world keep getting smaller and smaller, in the best possible of ways.

mrs mediocrity

December 14, 2010 at 10:02 pm

• Social networking really is amazing. I’m sometimes a bit behind on really getting into the next big thing, like twitter, which I scoffed at for about a year before finally giving it a try. Still, it’s all such fun, and I’m really happy with the wide age range of users. :) It helps remind me that my teachers and my parents and their friends are all just people too.

December 14, 2010 at 11:22 pm

4. The Internet is basically owns. Seriously, I don’t think I could have done half the things I have done in my life without it. I found my job through it, find inspiration for writing with it, travel to various places using it and have met so many wonderful people on it. Great choice, Aba!

December 15, 2010 at 5:41 am

• Thank you! And I’m just really happy that I’m using the internet more legitimately these days, instead of only wasting time on it. :)

December 15, 2010 at 12:04 pm