5 Minutes – Reverb 10, Day 15

What is Reverb10?

December 15 – 5 Minutes. Imagine you will completely lose your memory of 2010 in five minutes. Set an alarm for five minutes and capture the things you most want to remember about 2010. (Author: Patti Digh)

Here we go!

Meeting my niece (ok, so that was very end of 2009), then re-meeting her in July and October and both times being so surprised at how big and alert and aware she was. She’s also a really pretty baby. I also want to remember seeing my mother and my brother interact with her. It’s really interesting and heartwarming seeing my brother as a loving father, and it’s a lot of fun seeing how much both my mother and my niece light up around each other.

My summer vacation. First, taking Ahmet to Ghana. Watching him meet my Grandmother, who is the most awesome little grandmother ever and so loving and enthusiastic. Her asking me if she looked okay before she came out to meet him, which was just really endearing. Breakfasts and lunches together with my family nearly ever day, in the beautiful new veranda room my mother had built. Pictures of it look like they’re from a magazine. And then just the family aspect of eating together was nice. I realized I’d kind of missed that.

Then Turkey was also a wonderful time. The best part was probably our trip to the seaside at the end. Being in water that I floated in at a more comfortable level due to the salt was really cool (I barely know how to swim). Ahmet was also a really good teacher and was great about making me feel comfortable in the water and not rushing me.

And I’ve run out of time. Oops. That was fun though! Next time I do something like this, more listing and less exposition!

Key moments I also would have liked to remember were my brother’s wedding (not the one with the baby; I have three older brothers, btw) and Ahmet’s graduation. And then lots of other more everyday moments, but I think those were the big ones.

So far, of all the prompts, this is the one I’d recommend trying, for those of you not doing the entire reverb 10.

Edit: And I apparently cheated by sleeping on this and thinking about it before starting, but I was trying to study when I read the prompt!

December 15, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Posted in Life in General, Reverb 10

Tagged with

1. There’s no such thing as cheating with this stuff! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your reflections, and as long as you enjoyed writing them, then it’s all good! It funny, but today’s prompt was the ONLY one so far that I strictly followed. Just between you and me (nobody else can read these comments, right?), the REAL reason I put no forethought into my post this morning is because I needed a break from Reverb 10! I’m spending way too much time on all this! But it is kinda fun…

Bob D.

December 15, 2010 at 6:49 pm

• lol! I can see wanting/needing a break from this. I was really happy about the five minute time limit because I really shouldn’t be writing these at all this week anyway.

December 15, 2010 at 8:43 pm

2. I’m with Bob on this. Reverb10 consumes an awful lot of time and energy and you don’t even realise how much until you take a little break from it. If I make it to December 31st, it’ll be a miracle lol

Having been to Turkey and loved every second of it, I completely understand why it made it onto your list of things to remember. Awesome place.

December 16, 2010 at 9:03 am

• True. I completely meant to read a bunch of reverb 10 entries today but I’m so drained post-exams that I might have to not make the rounds today!

And yes, Turkey is just lovely. I’ve been twice now and I’m hoping to go back in 2-3yrs. :D

December 16, 2010 at 4:51 pm

3. Wow sounds like you have had a great year. I would loooove to travel more – super jealous!

Marianne DiNapoli

December 16, 2010 at 3:16 pm

• Funny thing is for me it’s the equivalent of when others just travel to another state to go home. My parents just happen to live outside of the country, so I go to Ghana at least once a year. And my boyfriend happens to be from Turkey, so in order to meet more of his family and see where he’s from, I had to travel there. I don’t do much (really, any) traveling that doesn’t have to do with visiting someone. Still, I do have to admit it’s fun! It was tough fitting it in last summer (had to scramble to find a lab that would take me for only six weeks), but it was definitely worth it.

December 16, 2010 at 3:59 pm

4. It sounds like it was a fabulous year. It is a good exercise, trying to fit a whole year into five minutes.

mrs mediocrity

December 16, 2010 at 10:23 pm

• It really was a fabulous year. :) And that definitely was a good exercise!

December 16, 2010 at 10:57 pm