Try – Reverb 10, Day 18

What is Reverb10?

December 18 – Try. What do you want to try next year? Is there something you wanted to try in 2010? What happened when you did / didn’t go for it? (Author: Kaileen Elise)

Not much, really. Nothing beyond what I’ve already mentioned in previous Reverb 10 answers. Next year, post April will be about when I start to seriously buckle down and study for Step 1, and then take it, and then start third year’s hospital rotations and apparently disappear until sometime fourth year. I would verify that this is true, except I can’t find any third years to talk to…

I’ve already found myself not planning things. I’m a planner by nature and I usually have lots of craft and food projects on my mind, but instead I have been treating next year as an extra-curricular sabbatical. I’m hoping to squeeze a few things into January and February, but after then I’m going to stop seeking out new things, because it’s really hard for me to resist the temptation of a recipe or a new project once it’s worked its way into my head as something I want to try.

I don’t want to completely disappear though. I do want to keep blogging. I want to keep making time to talk to my family and friends. I want to keep my relationship with my boyfriend strong. I want to try to get my parrot used to my hands again. I’m going to be downsizing my life a lot, but I want to make time for the people and aspects of my life that really matter.

Next year, I’m not going to just try. I’m going to keep living my life. It’s going to change a lot, but I’m going to take ownership of my time, as much as I can.

December 18, 2010 at 3:08 pm

1. Yay for you!! For me trying is like tasting, being playful with, poking… I love how you played with this prompt and made it fit for you.

I am grateful I found you via #reverb10 today!

Julie Jordan Scott

December 18, 2010 at 3:26 pm

• haha, I like the way you think. That’s a great interpretation of the word “trying.” Thank you for stopping by today! :)

December 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm

2. Good luck with next year! It sounds like you’ve got a great plan & realistic expectations :)

Kaileen Elise

December 18, 2010 at 4:26 pm

• Thank you! :) I think I’m going to need a lot of luck. And thanks for stopping by and commenting!

December 18, 2010 at 4:51 pm

3. I have no idea how difficult medical school must be. So this is a great response to today’s prompt – trying to keep a balance. Good luck, Aba! Can’t wait to read about your progress.

December 18, 2010 at 5:01 pm

• Thanks! Med school is both harder and easier than I thought it would be. So far, it’s not that the material is hard to grasp, it’s just that there is so much material to cram into my head. And I think in the future, it won’t be that the job is hard, but that the hours are long (and I guess sometimes the job will be somewhat emotionally draining, especially for me as an introvert).

December 19, 2010 at 9:09 pm

4. i’m also a chronic planner… i get ideas in my head and they are hard to get out (until they are gone, if you know what I mean… although I’m not even sure I do!). good luck fitting in life with 3rd year!
    thanks for the bike-riding support! I work close to home, so it’d be a great eco-friendly transport option if i could just bike there!

callah

December 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm

• haha, I definitely know what you mean about ideas. :) I do that too.

There are so many times when I’m doing errands by walking and I see someone whiz by on a bike and I really, really wish I had one. Someday I will. I’ve had a bit less use for one right now.

December 19, 2010 at 9:10 pm