Photo – Reverb 10, Day 25

Merry Christmas!

What is Reverb10?

December 25 – Photo – a present to yourself. Sift through all the photos of you from the past year. Choose one that best captures you; either who you are, or who you strive to be. Find the shot of you that is worth a thousand words. Share the image, who shot it, where, and what it best reveals about you.

Just one photo?

This photo won out over four others because it’s a better picture of me and a better picture in general. The others included me reading (while clearly chewing on the inside of my cheek, a longstanding habit), me curled up with my laptop in a “I am not expecting company or to see the sun” outfit, another me shut in with laptop picture, and a picture that was taken just after this one, but of me staring directly at the camera and smiling openly.

This picture is me out on a date with Ahmet, in Turkey, at a fancy restaurant named Sunset that had a beautiful view, and he took it.  Somehow, a lot of the pictures he took that night came out really well, and I was tempted to post a series of three of them (including this one). I’m not quite sure what this picture reveals about me, but it’s one of those pictures that really clicks with how I see myself.

Those pictures are rarely of me looking straight at the camera. They’re also rarely of me doing my full on photo-smile. It’s the pictures of me looking off to the distance, at most, glancing sideways at the camera. The pictures of me with a slight smile or no smile at all. The pictures of me where I’m in my head and not directly interacting with anyone. The pictures of me not posing for a picture, but interacting with the photographer as a person, or being completely unaware of the camera and the world outside my head.

December 25, 2010 at 3:19 pm

1. that’s a cute picture. :)

Hao

December 25, 2010 at 6:52 pm

2. I love the photo! I rarely like “posed” photos of myself, either. I think that if you catch a person in a photo where they’re truly happy and comfortable, and not EXPECTING the photo, the quality goes WAY up. :)

Ang

December 26, 2010 at 8:02 am

• Thank you! And it’s really amazing the difference in quality between most posed and most candid photos!

December 26, 2010 at 2:04 pm

3. You’re beautiful. And yes, I am so with you on the “in my head” pictures. I am generally not a fan of the camera unless it’s in my own hands so yes, I fully understand.

December 26, 2010 at 11:51 am

• Why thank you. :) I don’t mind pictures being taken of me, but I do kind of mind being aware of the camera, which is justified since those are usually the worst pictures of me anyway.

December 26, 2010 at 2:08 pm

4. lovely picture – and what could be better as a token of “self” than a picture taken in a nice place with someone you care about? the problem with pictures, usually, is that their significance is all about context – who we are with, where we were, how we felt at the moment – and rarely does the context come through in the image…
    nice

deborah l quinn

December 29, 2010 at 8:10 am

• Thank you! And that’s so true. It’s sad when I discover a picture I like but realize I have no memory of when and where it’s from.

December 31, 2010 at 5:06 am