Core Story – Reverb 10, Day 31

What was Reverb10?

December 31 – Core Story. What central story is at the core of you, and how do you share it with the world? (Bonus: Consider your reflections from this month. Look through them to discover a thread you may not have noticed until today.) (Author: Molly O’Neill)

Yesterday, I started reading a blog written by a medical resident. He’s I think two years in, and while I loved reading it, there was a strong current of “I hope that’s not me in 4 or 5 years” coursing through my thoughts. I’m incredibly thankful for the life that I’m cultivating outside of my medical career – my ever-changing hobbies, my parrot, my friends, my boyfriend, my family – and I hope that come residency, I’m still nurturing those sides of me.

Right now my core story is certainly that I’m a medical student. I have been for 1.5 years, and I will be for2.5 more years. But my core story is not my entire story, and it wouldn’t be a very good one if it was, and that I think is the thread that runs through my posts. That I am a medical student but that I refuse to let it be an all-consuming part of my life.

How I share my story with the world is a bit of an obvious question to ask a blogger, or maybe it’s only an obvious question to ask an introverted blogger. At the rate that I open up to people in person, my story won’t get very far or be very deep, but writing in this blog, I’m able to share more deeply, and with more people.

***

And so ends Reverb 10! I hope I haven’t bored anyone with this never-ending onslaught of daily(!) posts. I’ve had a lot of fun, but I’m happy to return to my more occasional posting schedule. I suspect that this blog will begin to focus more and more on medicine and less and less on my creations; my education is becoming increasingly more interesting (I’m starting to feel like I’m actually learning about medicine as a field and career and not just as a classroom science) and my time and energy for making things will be shrinking.

But through it all, I hope my posts will still be good reading, infrequent as they may be. I’m determined to try to blog through third year though, because I’m so curious what it’s like and was always disappointed when I’d read through archives of other medical bloggers and third year was mostly undocumented. I know it’s for good reason, but I’m up for the challenge! Even if I only manage to write one entry per rotation, that’s something.

Thank you everyone who’s stopped by and read my Reverb 10 posts! You’ve helped me stay the course and finish, and also helped make this feel like a worthwhile experience. Happy New Year!

December 31, 2010 at 5:21 am

Posted in Reverb 10

1. You have been far from boring, Aba. Meeting and reading you has been a real treat. You’re in my Reader and there you’ll stay. Prepare to see a lot more of me in 2011.

December 31, 2010 at 7:45 am

• Aw, thank you! You’ll be seeing me around in your blog too. :)

December 31, 2010 at 1:15 pm

2. That was a cool series! I really liked it.

Life outside of medicine is important, I agree..I take ASL classes and play a few instruments, but it’s hard to incorporate those into my posts so I just keep them separate for now. I may talk about them more this summer.

I agree about the lack of 3rd year posts on many med school blogs – it does make 1 post per rotation seem like a good challenge!

Action Potential

December 31, 2010 at 8:37 am

• Ooh, I’ve always wanted to learn ASL! That must be fun. I’m glad to hear you liked the series. :) I was worried that it seemed kind of silly to people who weren’t participating in the whole thing.

I think most people like to hear about the things medical students do outside of school. At least, I do. I’ve always liked the blogs that incorporate more of a person’s lives a bit more than the ones that maintain a very strict medical focus with little chance to get to know the blogger. You do a good job of keeping a personal touch throughout though.

December 31, 2010 at 1:24 pm

3. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed your posts, Aba. Your writing voice rings of authenticity, of genuine curiosity, humility and kindness. It’s been a pleasure getting to know you over the course of this month. I look forward to reading about the rest of your adventures in med school and beyond. Happy 2011!

Bob D.

December 31, 2010 at 12:52 pm

• Thank you! I was a bit worried that maybe I’d connect with people through reverb, but then lose them once I revert back to a medical school focus. I’ve really enjoyed reading your posts too, and having you as a commenter. :) Happy 2011 to you too!

December 31, 2010 at 1:27 pm

4. You won’t be getting rid of me anytime soon. I am so glad I found your blog and can’t wait to see what 2011 has in store for you!

Rebecca

December 31, 2010 at 4:08 pm

• Very happy to hear you’ll be sticking around! I’m really glad I randomly came across your post that one day. :)

December 31, 2010 at 10:56 pm